Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey provides senior citizens with opportunities in higher education.
The Senior Citizen Audit Program was created by the Rutgers University Board of Governors to permit retired New Jersey residents, age 62 or older, to audit courses on a space-available, noncredit basis. There are no tuition costs for auditing courses.
Choosing a Course
After careful consideration of all possible models for safely and effectively delivering instruction during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, Rutgers is planning for a Fall 2020 semester that will combine a majority of remotely delivered courses with a very limited number of in-person classes.
What does this mean for the Senior Citizen Audit Program?
- To reduce the number of people physically on campus, senior citizen auditors will not be permitted to audit in-person classes.
- Senior citizen auditors may audit on-line classes with the permission of the instructor.
- Only courses offered during the spring and fall semesters are open to auditors. No other courses offered at the university are available under the Senior Citizen Audit Program, including courses offered during other terms.
- Winter Session and Summer Session courses are not included under our program.
To apply to audit classes at Rutgers University-New Brunswick, Rutgers University-Newark, or Rutgers University-Camden, complete the online application. You will be required to upload proof of age and New Jersey residency at the time of application to be considered for the program. Please contact the appropriate program coordinator if you have any questions.
If you are unable to complete the online application, download and complete a PDF paper application and mail to the appropriate program coordinator listed on the right.
- August 1 - Senior citizen auditors may begin requesting permission to audit classes (requests will not be accepted prior to this date)
- September 1 - Fall semester begins
- September 11 - Senior citizen auditor class registration ends. No requests will be accepted after this date.